ENHANCEMENTS for the Ford Mondeo, introducing elegant new exterior and interior design details and a new Hybrid Wagon variant for the first time, were revealed at the Brussels Motor Show.
Significant upgrades include:
- Ford’s advanced 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engine introduced for improved long-distance cruising
- New intelligent eight-speed automatic transmission, which adapts shift patterns to driving style for improved refinement, and is controlled using a stylish and ergonomic rotary gear shift dial
- Adaptive Cruise Control enhanced with Stop and Go joins Mondeo’s suite of driver assistance technologies, for easier driving in motorway and stop-start traffic
Roelant de Waard, Ford’s European Marketing, Sales and Service vice-president, said: “Combined with the benefits of a low CO2 petrol engine we expect the Hybrid to account for up to 50% of sales.
“At the same time we are introducing an all-new diesel powertrain with SCR (selective catalytic reduction) technology to meet and exceed the latest Euro 6d Temp emissions standards, with an all-new eight-speed automatic transmission available.”
In both wagon and coupe-inspired four-door body styles, the self-charging Mondeo Hybrid is capable of pure electric driving and offers silent key start capability for refinement particularly in city and stop-start driving scenarios.
The hybrid powertrain delivers 187PS, and combines a specially-developed 2.0-litre petrol engine; electric motor; generator; 1.4kWh lithium-ion battery; and a Ford-developed power-split automatic transmission that emulates the performance of a continuously-variable transmission.
Regenerative braking technology captures up to 90% of the energy normally lost during braking to replenish the battery, contributing to anticipated CO2 emissions from a targeted 98g/km for the existing hybrid four-door, and anticipated CO2 emissions of 103g/km for the newly launched wagon.
Further technologies include:
- SmartGauge interface for monitoring fuel and energy consumption with features including Brake Coach that encourages gradual braking to help return more energy to the battery
- Electric power-assisted steering; and electrically-powered air-conditioning, powertrain cooling and vacuum systems, which significantly reduce drag on the engine
- A specially-developed exhaust gas heat recovery system that enables faster cabin warming
The new wagon body style provides 403 litres load capacity beneath the cargo cover for Mondeo Hybrid customers with the rear seats in place, and up to 1,508 litres with the rear seats folded, while an innovative flat floor over the battery pack makes loading and unloading of large or bulky items easier. Additional storage is concealed beneath the load floor.